How to Find the Best Hosting for Your Website
Decide how big you are, cut off useless services, check that your provider is a decent guy.
This article helps you choose hosting for Vepp. However, the recommendations given here are pretty general and may form a good guide for anyone, especially for a newbie.
- Vepp doesn’t support web hosting. Apart from it, anything will work: a dedicated server, a VPS, or an instance from a hyperscaler.
- Your server must have CentOS 7 x64 without any third-party repositories or additional services such as MariaDB or Nginx.
- A dedicated IP address is a must.
Disk space, RAM, CPU number and other server specs depend on your goals. Below you can find the quick guide on server requirements and how to make sure that your hosting provider is truly credible. But before that, let’s talk about terminology.
Hosting is a service allowing to locate a website in the Internet on servers of a hosting provider.
There are a few hosting types since there are technical limits of the equipment. For instance, if a physical server has 1 Tb of disk space, you cannot really shrink it or add more. However, not all websites need so much space. A tiny promo website may only need 500 Mb. The same works for CPU, RAM, and other parameters.
In order to avoid hardware outages, hosting providers divide or join resources of different servers. Dividing resources leads to web hosting and VPS while joining them results in cloud service.
Virtual Private Server (VPS)
A virtual private server or VPS is a part of a physical server that looks pretty like a dedicated server. It also has dedicated resources, it can also be used for the installation of the third-party software. Websites installed on one physical server but on different VPS don’t affect each other.
A VPS may cost a tad more than web hosting. However, for minimal tariff plans, this difference may be less than $1. This is why a small VPS is better for promo pages, portfolio, and blogs while a standard VPS works well for e-commerce, corporate portals, and media.
Newbies may be afraid to buy VPS because they have to possess some knowledge and experience. By doing so, they really lose the advantages of this hosting type. Vepp helps you manage your VPS and makes its management as simple as tuning up a few parameters.
Another option is to get a standalone server from the provider’s data center. Just like with VPS, you can install any operating system and software on it. A dedicated server is more reliable and stable and it also costs a lot.
Dedicated servers may be a good fit for big and requiring projects like massive e-com shops, portals with a lot of content, and mass media.
Vepp can work with a dedicated server just like it does with a VPS.
Cloud service is a unified system of servers with user websites. Resources for these websites are distributed between a few servers.
The price of cloud service depends on the resources consumed. Resources are redistributed automatically when the load changes. It means there is no need to predict how big your website is going to be before you select a tariff plan. Cloud service works well for testing new applications and websites with the unpredictable load.
Vepp works with Amazon Web Services (AWS), the leading cloud service provider.
Web hosting or shared hosting means that the resources of one server are distributed between dozens or hundreds of websites. They use the same operating system which makes web hosting pretty cost effective with a few downsides:
- if one website starts consuming a lot of resources, other websites will slow down,
- if one website is hacked, other websites may also be hacked,
- it uses one IP address for all websites meaning that you will have to buy a public IP address to add an SSL certificate or have a proper domain email,
- you cannot tailor the software to your needs. The only way to do it is to migrate your website to another server.
Web hosting works for small websites that don’t need constant availability and security but when the price is important. It might be a simple promo page, a business card page, a portfolio, or a small blog. However, Vepp cannot work with web hosting.
Determine Your Website Requirements
Hosting plans differ in resources and tools they support. The more the disk space or CPU/RAM, the more expensive the tariff plan. This is why it’s so important to evaluate the parameters of your future website.
Tariff plans of VPS providers start at 1 Gb. Vepp needs at least 10 Gb. It may be enough for a promo website, a portfolio, a blog, or a small e-commerce website with up to 1,000 daily visitors. For bigger e-shops or portals with user content, you’d need more resources.
In order to evaluate how much disk space you might need for your website, find a similar website somewhere on the web and download it by using HTTrack or Webripper. Look how big the files are and use it as your guideline. If your website is already created and ready-to-go, just choose a server that is enough for your website size.
Advice. SSD is 3-4 times faster than HDD. For some operations, it may be dozens of times faster. However, SSD is also more expensive. Choose SSD when you need speed.
RAM determines how much information your server will be able to handle. Them more complicated your website is, the more traffic it attracts, the more RAM is needed. If there is not enough RAM, your website will be slow or cease to open.
For a WordPress blog with less than 1,000 visits per day, you may need RAM from 512 Mb. Vepp works with RAM over 1 Gb.
However, not all providers show a real production rate of their hosting. If speed is important for you, ask them how much RAM is included in the tariff plan.
IP-address and Traffic
A dedicated IP address is needed to set up an SSL certificate, mail, and statistics. Normally, hosting providers offer VPS with an IP address included but we recommend to check it.
Traffic means the volume of information sent and received by your server. Standard hosting providers don’t limit traffic or have limits that are more than enough for an average website. If you foresee a lot of users for your website or want to allow them uploading and downloading big files, then make sure that you won’t reach any limits by asking your provider.
Some hosting providers sell hosting with preinstalled software like operating systems or CMS. All you need for Vepp is CentOS 7 so you can install any programs of your choosing. And it’s really easy with Vepp!
Apart from preinstalled software, providers may offer some additional services. Some of these services bring more value, the others are purely for advertising purposes.
- Security: antispam and antivirus. Check whether it’s included in the basic tariff plan.
- Domains for free or a discount on domains. Take it and save money if you don’t have a domain name yet.
- DDoS protection. It is pretty expensive and never included in basic plans. Make sure that it can be purchased additionally so you could use it when needed.
- Backups. You can configure backups in Vepp but more backups are always better.
- An SSL certificate. It’s important but with Vepp you can have a free certificate per default. No need to pay for another one.
Select a Tariff Plan and Check Your Hosting Provider
Find a few tariff plans that work for you. Hosting prices start at $1-2 per month and depend on resources and provider. Don’t look at the pricing for now and check a hosting provider first.
Look Through the Provider’s Website
Website design can say a lot to you. Apart from it, pay attention to the following things:
- Legal documents and user agreements. A provider must have them, with liabilities of the parties described there.
- License. A provider can sell hosting without a license if it doesn’t have its own servers and resells servers of another provider. However, a license and own equipment are always good.
- Address. Compare the address on the website and the address specified in maps. It will show you whether the company has an office and they won’t be closed in the foreseeable future.
- How many years has the provider been on this market? The more, the better.
Check Their Support Service
Failures happen. You will have to communicate with support sooner or later. It’s good if support is 24/7/365.
Send a ticket to support and ask something simple like How is to assign a domain? If support is supposed to be 24/7/365, ask it in the nighttime during the weekend. Depending on how fast they reply to you, you can predict whether they have issues with support communication. If it takes a lot of time to give an answer to something that simple, then how much time would a harder question take?
Find out what is included in free support and if there is premium support (may come in handy later).
Besides, look for reviews in Google and social networks. If there is a lot of negative feedback, you can find it in social media or on special feedback platforms. Evaluate how fast a provider replies to reviews.
Take a Trial Period
Use a trial period if there is one available and you have time. The standard trial period is one month. After it ends, you can say whether you can trust the provider.
How to Add a Server to Vepp
After you have selected a server, add it to Vepp. Use the server credentials sent by your hosting provider. You can use username and password (for VPS or dedicated server) or an SSH key. An AWS instance can only be added via an SSH key.
Log in to Vepp, specify the IP address of your server, the SSH-port (22 is the default value), username and password. Done!
Read this extended guide
Remember These Things
- Web hosting doesn’t work for Vepp.
- Buy a VPS, a dedicated server, or an instance from AWS, DigitalOcean, or Alibaba.
- Decide what hosting type you need.
- Decide how many resources your website may need.
- Check your provider.
- Use the trial period.
- Stay away from free hosting.